September is Healthy Aging Month and the perfect time to start practicing habits with positive health benefits!
At Integral Senior Living, we pride ourselves on creating an environment for our residents to age happily and healthily. We are always creating opportunities for our residents to get active and stay engaged through our Vibrant Life program.
Nevertheless, healthy aging is about more than just staying active. If you aren’t practicing good, healthy habits, this month is the perfect time to start! It’s never too late to make positive changes. See our list below for healthy habits you can start today for a healthier tomorrow!
1. Eat a healthy, balanced diet – This is an easy one! Adding more fruits, leafy greens like spinach and kale, and omega-3-rich fish like salmon, tuna and halibut into your diet can have remarkable health benefits. Not only do these foods contribute to better overall health, they also can directly benefit eye health. Our Elevate dining program helps residents maintain a healthy diet with an enhanced culinary experience, integrating fresh cooking and our residents’ favorite home-style meals.
2. Get enough sleep – Your mind cherishes sleep the same way your body cherishes food. The amount of sleep you get each night becomes more important the older you become. Older adults should aim to get seven to eight hours of asleep a night. Developing a regular bedtime can make falling asleep easier. Lack of sleep can cause depression, irritability, increased fall risk and memory problems.
3. Get active, be active, stay vibrant – Strive for at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day! Regular exercise tends to lead to notable health benefits and may delay or improve symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. ISL residents achieve this through our signature Vibrant Life program designed to enhance and enrich each day through personal schedules based on their interests, preferences, routines and abilities.
4. Wear sunglasses and a brimmed hat when outdoors – Protecting your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet rays when you are outdoors is vital for your eye health. Choose sunglasses that block 99 to 100 percent of both UV-A and UV-B radiation.
5. Cultivate relationships – Meeting new people and forming a connection with them can have a positive impact, not only on life experiences, but also on mental health! Staying socially engaged has been shown to keep the mind active. Additionally, it’s important to have a support system and social network you can rely on each day.
These simple tips can have a positive influence on aging for both physical and mental health. For more tips on ways to make the most out of Healthy Aging Month, check out Healthy Aging!
If you would like to see firsthand what our ISL communities are all about, we’d love to show you around! Please visit our Communities page to find the community closest to you.
We look forward to meeting you and helping everyone live a healthy, active lifestyle!