Summer can be the best season of all for seniors
The summer is a wonderful time for seniors to go outside, enjoy the fresh air and engage in events and activities, many of which bring back thoughts of favorite childhood memories. Now that the long, hot summer days are in full swing seniors should seize the moment. ISL communities celebrate summer with events and activities that take advantage of the season.
ISL suggests some ideas to make summer enjoyable for seniors
- Pools, Lakes, and Oceans: If you are trying to plan for summer fun begin with a list of nearby watering holes where you can cool down.
- Collecting Memories: Often times we only think of the holidays as a time to reminisce. But since so many memories come from summer, write down and share your summer memories with loved ones.
- Museums: When you think of a cool indoor site you may not immediately think of a museum, but if there is one near you it’s worth checking out summer season specials.
- Jams, Jellies and Preserves: Seniors were a part of a generation that didn’t allow summer’s bounty to slip through their fingers. Enjoy making jams, jellies, and preserves this summer, and think about teaching someone younger how to do it.
- Family get-togethers outdoor style: The summertime is a good time to invite family over because you can use the outdoors as part of your entertaining space. Make it easy and ask everyone to bring a favorite dish.
- Cold Drinks/Cool Cubes: It is especially important for seniors to drink plenty of liquids in the summer heat. Make ice cubes out of your favorite juices or coffee to add a real zip in your next cool drink.
- Walks: With warm weather and extended daylight, take a walk in the early to mid morning or around dinnertime, avoid midday heat.
- We all Scream for Ice Cream: Buy a box or two of your favorite ice cream at the grocer or head out for this all American cold treat, it is truly one of life’s pleasures. The all time favorite is still vanilla.
- Light Reading: Visit the library and pick up a hearted book that fits the mood of the season- light and easy or full of old time summer nostalgia.