See a change in your parent or loved one that leads you to believe they might benefit from an assisted living community? You don’t know where to turn. As the healthcare industry experiences a digital boom, 77% of us begin our healthcare search online, according 2015 Healthcare Consumer Trends survey. But how do we know who and what to trust?
Here are 5 of the most trusted locations to help you begin your search!
- Always talk to your family, friends, and neighbors first – word of mouth is powerful
- Connect with people who serve seniors such as,
- Senior centers
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Meals on Wheels volunteers
- Pharmacists and Dieticians
- Hospital Administrative staff, nurses, and paramedics
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Physicians, including ophthalmologists, neurologists, psychiatrists and geriatricians
- Psychotherapists, psychologists and licensed counselors
- Home care and hospice providers
- Research online reviews. Review sites publish reviews of local businesses, written by people who have had first hand experiences with the business. The top sites we recommend are Google and Yelp. Some review sites even help users find out which assisted living community will provide the best care for aging parents.
- Go to their Facebook page! Check out the vibrancy of the community. Do they go out on outings? Are they consistently connected to family, friends and the community? Are they promoting health and wellness? Do the residents look inspired or challenged? Are they happy?
- Call a handful of your favorite communities and set up a tour with your loved one. Experience first-hand what is offered at each community while asking questions.