Summer is almost here! It’s time to get outside and enjoy everything that your community and nature have to offer. Whether that means going on a nice hike, exercising outside or simply relaxing by the pool, summer is all about taking in some sun and good weather. ISL’s Vibrant Life® program takes full advantage of the summer months by incorporating tons of fun outdoor experiences for residents.
However, summer’s hot temperatures can be potentially dangerous. Excessive exposure to heat can result in dizziness, sickness and even more serious conditions. By taking the steps below, you and your loved ones can stay out of harm’s way and still revel in all of summer’s goodness.
- Always check the heat index
- The heat index is basically how hot you feel on a given day. It factors in the amount of humidity in the air, which affects how easily your body can cool itself. Always check weather websites or your local TV and radio weather reports during the summer.
- Don’t overdo it
- If it’s particularly hot outside, don’t do anything over-the-top. Stay inside or relax in the shade. No need to exercise too hard or do something overly adventurous that could cause harm.
- AC is your friend
- There’s nothing wrong with cranking up the air conditioning! ISL communities all have quality, air-conditioned rooms and areas. If you’re outside your community, you can always seek out places with good AC, like malls and movie theaters.
- Stay inside in the midday
- Temperatures tend to peak in the early afternoon hours, so it’s advisable to stay indoors during these times. If possible, plan on running your errands or exercising outside before or after these hours.
- Liquids, liquids, liquids
- Staying hydrated is key to battling the summer heat. Always drink plenty of water or juice, and remember that alcohol and caffeinated drinks can often result in even more dehydration.
- Dress for the occasion
- What you wear is important too! Make sure you are outfitted with light, free-flowing and light-colored clothes. Hats and sunscreen should always be part of your outdoor accessories, too.
Now it’s time to get back to having fun in the sun!