This year’s theme is “Age Out Loud”
Each May, our nation celebrates Older Americans Month. This year’s theme, “Age Out Loud,” encourages all of us to learn from what today’s older adults have to say. More than ever, older adults are living their lives with boldness, confidence, and passion while serving as an inspiration to people of all ages. We see this example everyday in our ISL communities, where seniors are engaged and making a difference. This is particular evident through our innovative Vibrant Life® program, offering a pioneering approach designed for enhancing and enriching residents’ lives through core components for well-rounded and meaningful experiences.
The seven main components to living a Vibrant Life:
- Be Inspired— Gain a deeper sense of spirituality & feed the soul!
- Be Well— Intellectual stimulation, get moving & stay active!
- Be Challenged— Ignite competitive spirit, learn, grow & motivate!
- Be Adventurous— Try something new every day, explore & experience the unique!
- Be Family— Cherish family connections, share & continue family traditions!
- Be Social— Embrace friendships, celebrate the moments, talk, laugh & listen!
- Be Connected— Engage in meaningful community involvement, share experiences & expertise!
Currently older Americans are working longer, trying new things, and engaging in an active life. They’re taking leadership roles, striving for wellness, focusing on independence, and advocating for themselves and others.
A New Phase of Life
Getting older doesn’t mean what it used to. For many Americans, it’s a crucial phase of life where interests, goals, and dreams can get a new start. Today, aging is about eliminating outdated perceptions and living the way that suits each person best.
ISL communities offers several recent examples of vibrant, forward-thinking older Americans who are loud about their Vibrant Life.
- Leonard E. McCord, who is soon turning 95 recently displayed his paintings in a first-ever Vibrant Life ‘Living the Dream’ Art Show at The Arbors at Rancho Penasquitos Senior Living. At the art show his beautiful works were viewed, enjoyed and some even purchased.
- Terry Scholderer, a resident at the Groves of Tustin Senior Living was crowned at the Miss Newport Coast USA/Miss Irvine USA Pageant 2016 as part of her Vibrant Life ‘Livin’ the Dream’ moment. She was given her official “Memories Matter” sash and crowned by the outgoing Miss Irvine Teen USA, Monica English.
- 92-year-old Dorothy Williams of Shavano Park Senior Living took to the sky, taking part in an indoor skydiving experience with her daughter-in-law and granddaughter. What a day they had together.
This May we hope you celebrate Older American’s Month and live a Vibrant Life!